Friday, December 16, 2011

Merry Christmas

Yes, I said it, the politically incorrect holiday moniker for this time of year,  I bet you won't be surprised when I say tough nuggies if you don't like it.  When I was growing up this time of year was filled with Christmas parties and gift exchanges and wait for it..........cheer.  Now it's a time for people to be rude, intolerant, cranky and mean spirited.  It seems that once it was no longer "Merry Christmas", but "Happy Holidays" grinches began appearing more and more frequently.  Let's face it, it is Christmas, it's not "The holidays" we don't exchange holiday presents, kids don't go to see holiday man and we certainly don't celebrate holiday baby.


I have no problem wishing someone a "Happy Hanukkah" or "Happy Kwanza" if that is what they celebrate, so why is it so difficult for others to wish me a Merry Christmas?  If companies, schools and other public entities don't want parties to be Christmas Parties then don't have them before Christmas, have them in between Christmas and New Year.  This way there is no conflict and it most certainly is a holiday party.


The thing that I have the most difficult time understanding is if you don't believe in God and the birth of Jesus why would a person want to celebrate a day that does and why it's ok for you to want to change it to suit you?  I would never think to interfere with Hanukkah, Kwanza, Eid ul-Fitr, Bodhi Day or even Yule.  Why is it ok for those who don't believe to hijack a day that is set aside for those of us who do?  Why is it that those of us who believe have to alter our day to suit your needs and we must be the ones who are tolerant? Don't you think that it is about time that spiritual tolerance goes both ways?  So I will say it again...MERRY CHRISTMAS and HAPPY NEW YEAR!

1 comment:

  1. Christmas is no longer the Christmas I knew many years ago..now it is all money, out doing everyones outside lights etc. When I was growing up there was not a lot of money in my house. We made our own gifts, decorations for the tree.

    ReplyDelete