Friday, April 29, 2011

A Royal Pain In The Butt

I'll admit I watched a part of the Royal Wedding this morning.......15 seconds of it because I clicked a link that I didn't want to.  There was no way I was going to rise an hour earlier than I already do to watch an event that has absolutely no significance for me other than it's a nice thing for a couple to pledge their allegiance to one another for the rest of their lives.  Then again for the English Monarchy we know about how well that works.

I asked a few people what the big deal was since I did not see the reason for all the hype and one of the answers I got was, "It's history."  No it's not.  History is a life altering event within the infrastructure of a country or world that forever changes how we perceive things and how we react to them.  This is a wedding, and while it's a happy and joyous occasion for the couple and their friends and family, it will not cause a wrinkle in many people's days for years to come.

While reading the updates and wall posts on Facebook today I also came across someone indignant over some of the negativity of a few people.  The person said that the last time we had something like this was when Diana died and that it was such a happy occasion we should be rejoicing.  I found the irony of this statement quite funny.  Why and how did Diana die?  The paparazzi were chasing her in a car because ordinary people can't seem to keep their noses out of public people's lives.  Yes, I understand that if one becomes a politician, actor/actress, public speaker and the like you have opened that can of worms, but there are just some things we don't need to know, nor do I want to for some things.  So for all intents and purposes we nosy Nellies killed Diana with our ever growing obsession with people in the public eye.  Yet people got up at 4AM, are having wedding parties, and talking incessantly about the "new" royal couple, who has had and will continue to have the public crawling into their bedroom just to get a glimpse into a life that when you take away all the flash is not all it's cracked up to be.

1 comment:

  1. I just do not see the facination in it all. I guess if I lived in the UK it would be more important to me. Maybe not.

    When you boil it all down for me, I don't get it. I would much rather spend my time watching a TV show about a couple who has overcome adversity,difficulty, or a tradgedy, and have a stronger union because of it. That is a lot more meaningful to me.

    I guess it could be worse, normally the news is filled with apathy, murder, sex, crime, and other trash to watch. This is a step up for them compared with the drivel usually shown on TV.

    Tony

    ReplyDelete